Frequently Asked Questions:


Is there a Humane Society in Hardee County?
No, the nearest Humane Society is located in Highlands or Polk County.

Do you have a specific breed of dog or cat?
Our selection of adoptable animals changes daily. We have adopted out every breed of
dog and cat imaginable. If you are looking for a specific breed that we do not currently
have in the kennels, then you can ask to be put on our Wanted Animal List, and we will
contact you when we get the breed you are searching for.

Do you pick up dead animals?
No, we do not have a license to transport dead animals. If the animal is on a county
road you can contact Hardee County Public Works at 863-773-3272. If the animal is on
a state road you can contact the Department of Transportation at 863-993-4634,

Do you have volunteer opportunities?
No, at this time we do not have any volunteer opportunities.

What do I do if I no longer want my pet?
You can bring your unwanted pet to us during adoption/viewing hours. You must provide a
photo I.D. with your current physical address, and you will have to sign a surrender form
giving us custody of the animal.

What can I do if I see a horse or cow loose or in distress?
You may contact the Hardee County Sherriff's Department and request the Agriculture
Unit at 863-773-4144.

Will you hold an animal for me?
We are unable to take deposits or hold animals, but you can start the adoption process by
completing and returning an adoption agreement application. Everything is on a first come
first served basis.

What do I do if I am bitten by a dog/cat?
If you are bitten you need to seek medical attention and call Animal Control (863) 773-2320
and/or the Hardee County Health Department (863) 773-4161 to report the bite.

Do you take animals from other counties?
No. Please contact your local animal control or Humane Society.